While reading the "21st century museums:Bringing history to life with Google Cultural Institute", it was interesting reading that different history memories that I learned in class and in the science industry museum. "You can discover 42 new online historical exhibitions telling the stories behind major events of the last century, including Apartheid, D-Day, and the Holocaust. The stories have been put together by 17 partners including museums and cultural foundations who have drawn on their archives of letters, manuscripts, first-hand video testimonials and much more. Much of the material is very moving—and some is on the Internet for the first time". Which is great to actually see on your computer. Seeing it at your home rather than walking. But the only thing that I am against is that will we have any museum's? Will the museum's close down because the Internet is taking away all the exhibits? If so then I am not a fan for this Internet to keep growing. I remember as a child walking into a museum I felt intelligent seeing the old artifacts, the old airplane crafts and actually walking around a museum learning and seeing the past history. Sometimes at the museum there were statues talking about different heroes during a specific time in history. Actually seeing the statue was great, I took a picture of it and showed to my family telling them what I learned at the museum. Personally as a student learning at the museum was a great teaching tool for us. Actually learned what happen during history of the time period, see the actual artifacts that were left or if any were left. Hearing speeches from other historians about the information they learned discovering more about the topic.
With in the Internet I feel that we lose that personal face to face time, yes we can learn so much from the Internet but sometimes actually looking into an exhibit is way different then looking online. There is already a lot of different information about history which is great for us teachers. This is a great tool for history teachers like myself. I could give an homework assignment but in the mean time I would like to go to a field trip with my students letting them explore the museums just like I did. Learn more by seeing the artifact, listening to an historian talk about it at the museums.
Kim, this is a wonderful resource for educators. Remember to blog about your thoughts and opinions about the tool, not about technology's place in society or schools. Keep your focus on the usefulness of the tool in education and your thoughts as you tried it.
ReplyDelete